[Kdenlive-devel] GUI stuff, Mustux (Protux)

Rolf Dubitzky dubitzky at pktw06.phy.tu-dresden.de
Tue Nov 5 12:36:24 UTC 2002

Hi Reinhard,

On Tuesday 05 November 2002 12:07 pm, Reinhard Amersberger wrote:
> Hi again,
>
> I followed your discussion and it sounds very interesting, but please let
> me make some comments about GUI .... (be patient, my english skill isn't
> very good!)

Kein problem ;-)

> > But yes, I would prefer a resizable window as it give the user more
> > control over how he sets up the GUI.
>
> Can you make all windows (widgets) interactive?
> I mean, when I re-size a window, the others should adapt her size too,
> because it's pretty unhandy to re-size each window individual after
> adapting one of them. This is the way how 'MoviePack and Extreme' is
> working .... it's like all windows having magnetical borders.
> http://www.aistinc.com
> I really like this GUI concept, because it is very good structured and well
> organized ... take a look.

A totally agree, I also don't like the gimp way with many windows floating
around and constantly hiding each other.
I think the way Jason is going is very nice. kdenlive is basically a single
big window, where all components are arranging themselves automagically. I
guess Qt/KDE even allows you to put Handles to widgets, so that you can e.g.
drag the video widget to the left or right and it will be reswalloed in the
right place, or even be a free window if you like. I mean like you can do
with the menubar in every KDE app.
Other dialogs which are only of temporary interest will probably just pop up
for a while, like e.g. the filemanager.
Just to make sure I understand, do you have a problem with the way it is
working now?

> Also this could be similar to 'MoviePack and Extreme' , because they had an
> additional window called 'Timegraph' which is showing the applied effect of
> the selected clip, ALL effect-parameters, user can adapt the 'Keyframes'
> very exactly and user can toggle between 'Timeline' and 'Timegraph' mode by
> shortcut very quick and easy .

Sounds good. I wish I had a few more of those nifty M$ Windoze apps. I just
have MGI VideoWave (which is the crap that came with my Sony camcorder, urgh)
and MovieDVPerfect (which came with my FireWire PCI-card). That is actually
not too bad. I just can't afford Premiere ;-(

> > good painter ;-). They should be selectable and when selected their
> > properties should be displayed somewhere.
>
> Yes, this could be the 'KeyLine' ;-)) ,because here you also would have a
> time refference and could move the nodes (Key frames) around very safe
> without moving other things , like clips, unintentional. But besides of
> that, it could be helpful to have another window to edit the effect
> parameters by changing the values directly.

Yes, I was thinking of a part of the gui that always shows the properties of
the selcted item in the timeline. E.g. the parameters of the selected clip,
the global parameters of the selceted effect, or the actual values of the
selected property node.

> The MoviePack procedure is for example:
>
> 1. Select a clip.
>
> 2. Now the applied affects are shown in the effect-window.
>
> 3. Select an effect in the effect-window, by activating the appropriate
> button (on top of this window all effects are symbolized as buttons and the
> values/parameters are listed below).
>
> 4. And finally user can adapt the keyframes in Timegraph mode (KeyLine? ;-)
> (On top you see the clip and below all effect parameter.)

Sounds similar to MovieDVPerfect. Probably this is the canonical way to do
things.

> Apropos shortcuts - I suggested you to have a look at the Mustux project
> ... http://www.nongnu.org/mustux/
>
> I don't know if it is profitable for your project, but you will obtain a
> shortcut-engine and later on a lot of audio filters for free! And shortcuts
> are very important especially for professional users ... IMHO.
>
> You can check out the Mustux functionallities by trying Protux :
> http://www.nongnu.org/protux/

Hmm.. I don't quite get it

|  NOTE: The notation is ^C[WR]:LR (point to a clip, hold W and R, and
|  move the mouse Left and Right)

Does that mean it is like mouse gestures in opera/mozilla with additional
keys?

Cheers,
Rolf

 Rolf Dubitzky
 e-mail: Rolf.Dubitzky at Physik.TU-Dresden.de
 s-mail see http://hep.phy.tu-dresden.de/~dubitzky/