[Kdenlive-devel] Operators and Properties

Rolf Dubitzky dubitzky at pktw06.phy.tu-dresden.de
Mon Nov 4 18:05:07 UTC 2002

On Monday 04 November 2002 03:47 pm, Jason Wood wrote:
> You have essentially described what I consider to be a "scene" :-)
[...]
> Hopefully, you see that this is essentially just a "break down" of what
> your idea is into smaller chunks, which can be just as easily merged
> together again as they were to break up.

Ok, just to make sure we are talking about the same thing. I am not talking
about graphical representation. The GUI must look more or less like your
example. A movie in a tree view is probably confusing. The representation in
memory is a different issue. Even if the visualisation is somewhat serial
(with a few layers) the representation in memory can be more efficient.
 But also this arangement can give some ideas for the GUI. in you example,
concider the second and third track as a small subproject as indicated by the
black box around it in the modified scene_example.jpg (attached). In the tree
you can just lock it and collaps the view to a single track if you like. It
could even be prerendered to a cache. From the implementation point of view,
it is certainly easier, because if you drag it around, you can just insert a
node a some place in the tree and attch it. Done. In a serial scenario as
yours, you will have to rearange everything. Rearange horizontally and maybe
also vertically. Anyway, my point is, that you only will only gain in
complexity if you start speaking of individual scenes with overlapping
content.

> I've attatched a small picture of the timeline with several clips on it.
> For arguments sake, assume that there is an operator on each making them
> slightly transparent. i.e. underlying videos need to interact with the
> overlying videos. The green lines in the picture represent where scenes
> would be defined.

Yes, I understand, that is the usual way to visualize. The operators and
property nodes could look like the blue lines and blobs, sorry I am not a
good painter ;-). They should be selectable and when selected their
properties should be displayed somewhere.

> > In the timeline these property-nodes must be visible. You must be able to
> > insert new nodes, delete old nodes and popup a window to edit the values
> > for a node.
>
> Or in other words, I need to write a KeyFrame widget :-)

KeyFrame?

> > The usual separation in "transitions" and "effects" makes sense with
> > analog cutting mashines, it is just nonsense if you have a computer.
>
> Hmmm... It depends on what editing analogy you choose for the editor. I
> haven't made that choice yet for Kdenlive. For instance, Adobe Premier has
> a seperate "transition" line on the timeline (though I never enjoyed that
> way of editing because it is awfully implemented). Whilst I can envisage an
> interface which models a multicamera shoot such as you would do whilst
> mixing a live show. In that case, having effects and transitions seperate
> does make sense.

Ok, you have a picture in picture operation. The initial width of the picture
is 0, the maximum is full. Is this a transition or an effect? Probably you
would call it transition.  If it just reaches 80% and gets smaller
afterwards... No transition? Now it is an effect? My answer: its an operation
with two frames, don't distinguish between transition and effect. UnaryOps
might always be called effects, though.

Cheers,
Rolf

 Rolf Dubitzky
 e-mail: Rolf.Dubitzky at Physik.TU-Dresden.de
 s-mail see http://hep.phy.tu-dresden.de/~dubitzky/