[Kdenlive-devel] kdenlive - piave

Jason Wood jasonwood at blueyonder.co.uk
Mon Nov 4 14:59:36 UTC 2002

On Monday 04 Nov 2002 11:57 am, Rolf Dubitzky wrote:
> On Monday 04 November 2002 09:48 am, you wrote:
> > So as long as you code as you would if you were making a normal resizable
> > window, I don't think there should be any problems.
>
> Err.. actually I use a non-resizeable window and it works great too. Well,
> I want to make the window scalable with const aspect ratio anyway.

Isn't it nice when a widget performs more reliably than you expected it to?

But yes, I would prefer a resizable window as it give the user more control
over how he sets up the GUI.

> > There is only one
> > gotcha that I have discovered so far (and I have not yet fixed in
> > nullcutter). You need to be careful to test whether or not the Window
> > still exists before you try and do anything with it! If Kdenlive crashes
> > or is killed, the embedded window is destroyed along with the rest of the
> > interface.
>
> Well, and then the Winmanager catches the Window, but the server sees a
> closed connection and exits. So apart from the few frames which get
> displayed in a seperate window, I can live with it, or do miss something?

Ah. Well, essentially the cutter terminates on loss of connection at the
moment because I got lazy about kill -9'ing it or telnetting in to tell it to
quit :-)

The behaviour I would like to see is as follows :

The server starts listening for a connection. At this point it does not know
if it will be used interactively to display things on the screen, or if it
will be used simply to render things.

The client (GUI, or scheduler when it is written) connects to the server. The
server stops listening for for new connections and is ready to render, open a
video window, etc.

If the server notices that the connection has died, it should clean itself up
(close any video windows), and start listening for connections again. If it
is rendering something, it should finish rendering it in the meantime. It
should assume that the connection will be re-established, though the
connection may be established via a different GUI.

Essentially, the idea is that if the GUI crashes or is killed, the renderer
stays open waiting for requests. Thinking about it though, perhaps this
should be an option, as it does not necessarily make sense on a single
computer.

Cheers,
Jason

--