[Kdenlive-devel] Cutting list file format specification, Version 0.02

Jason Wood jasonwood at blueyonder.co.uk
Sat May 18 19:36:35 UTC 2002

On Saturday 18 May 2002 6:55 pm, Christian Berger wrote:
> > I've incorporated the changes that we discussed, and came up with a
> > couple of other things which we hadn't thought of before.
> >
> > Firstly, I have said that each cutting list should start with a version
> > command. This is important so that we can add new features, and modify
> > stuff, and know what to expect for any particular version.
>
> Well I don't know if we'll ever need it, but it sure is an interresting
> piece of information. Maybe we should also define a "creator" command,
> telling us which programm created the cutlist. Maybe also a date and
> comment field. Those fields definitely are good for recovering broken
> harddisks :)

Of course, if you hard disk has died, recovering the cutting list is probably
the least of your worries -

> > Secondly, I have added a couple of extra parameter value types - String,
> > ID, and time and interpolation. We need to decide exactly on how time
> > should be represented within the file format.
>
> Well I'd say we use time in milliseconds. Unless we want to be limited
> to film and PAL/SECAM we have to be able to handle wiered framerates
> which aren't a multiple of 0.01. We cannot really do that with
> 00:00:00:00 formats.

If we are likely to need, say, ten-thousandths of a second for the correct
accuracy at times, then rather than milliseconds just measuring in seconds
and allowing any fraction after the decimal point might be better than
choosing milliseconds.

Eg. 330.176215 seconds.

The question is, should time be represented in
hours/minutes/seconds.fraction-of-a-second, or should it be represented as
just seconds.fraction-of-a-second?

> > Thirdly, I have added the interpolation concept. Whilst at the moment it
> > is limted to simple interpolation between a start value and an end value,
> > the idea is that the interpolation within a scene should be independant
> > of the values it is working on : instead of having -startvalue -endvalue,
> > we have just -value which can accept an interpolation. Whilst slightly
> > more difficult to parse (though not greatly more so), it allows for a
> > great degree of freedom for later expansion. E.g. we could at a later
> > date expand it to allow non-linear interpolations, or to have "freehand"
> > sets where the value changes randomly.
>
> Well I'd do it a different way, I'd do "0 1 linear" Althought this
> doesn't seem to be much different (now it's encoded in a string) it
> might mean a lot of flexibility. We could write a tiny little Forth
> interpreter. This interpreter would interpret the "interpolation" at
> every frame. On the stack there already will be the current relative
> time of the scene as well as the length of the scene, and the command
> "linear" calculates the value based on start and end values. For example
> if we want to make a linear wipe going in steps we could do this:
> 0 1 linear 5 * int 5 / which would let it move in 5 steps.

The main extension that I was later thinking of for the interpolation would be
some form of "freehand" ability - where you have multiple points, so instead
of just [start, end], you could have [start, middle1, middle2, middle3,
middle4, end]

Of course, then you need to move on to the question of, "what if we don't want
them all equally spaced out? How do we handle the syntax?" which is why for
the moment, I think it's best to keep it simple. Since any interpolation
could be handled using multiple scenes anyway, I think this is one are which
shows why versions on cutting lists can come in handy!

> > Fourthly, I've re-structured the document, and used Star Office to write
> > it. Unfortunately, there seems to be a problem with exporting PDF files
> > at the moment - the file is now on the website, but only seems to be
> > viewable using gv. I'm still trying to figure out what's going wrong. I
> > also intend to add an HTML version sometime soon.
>
> Well it looks quite well for a PDF file.
>
> On page 1 below the drawing there's a typo, scehduler should be written
> scheduler, I think.
> Scenes also can have a length of less than a frame. This might be
> important if you want to "fill up" scenes.

??? I don't understand this point.
I would have assumed that a scene would be at least a frame, otherwise it
would never get rendered by the cutter.

> Maybe we should somehow distinguish between file IDs and connection IDs
> since I have to have a "list" of all the files being used in a scene

The trouble is that once we get inside of a scene, we would then need a way to
distinguish between them whilst parsing them.

I think a better solution here is using C++ and making use of inheritance and
polymorphism.

> Well about the smoothing input of the croma effect (I'd call it
> cromakey) How would you define it? I mean it'S a color value.

Ok, here I am thinking that this "smoothing" value determines the range of
values over which the chroma works. For example, you specify a blue flatcolor
image as the croma - RGB(0.0, 0.0, 0.8)

We could then specify another flatcolor video as the smoothing. A higher vaue
for the color indicates a wider range - effectively, any color with a value
over 0.5 would mean that the value would always be chromakeyed to some
degree.

 The advantage of using a color is that we can specify seperate smoothing
factors for the different parts of the color value. E.g., since we might want
a larger range of blue colors to be accepted than their red and green
components, then we might specify a flatcolor video for smoothing of say,
RGB(0.05, 0.05, 0.2) (meaning a small variation in Red and Green would be
cromakeyed, and a wider variation in blue would be chromakeyed). Smoothing
might not be the best word here - threshold might be better.

Smoothing would then just be a single value - any chroma effect would get
"smeared out" a little depending on smoothing to help remove jaggies around
the edge of the effect.

> Maybe we should try something like this: A forth effekt. The same
> interpreter used in interpolation could calculate the whole effect.
> It would be called for every pixel and it get's the pixel values of the
> incoming images on the stack and leaves the outgoing pixel on top of it.
> When done efficiently that wouldn't be to slow.

A simple way to make effects in some semi-intereprative way would be cool.

Cheers,
Jason

--
Jason Wood