[Kdenlive-devel] Play position notification

Jason Wood jasonwood at blueyonder.co.uk
Thu Dec 19 12:04:09 UTC 2002

Hi,

Ok, here is what I was going to say about the slider moving when a movie is
being played :

I think it should be the renderers job to tell the GUI it's current position,
rather than the way that is currently in the VEML document where the GUI has
to request it from the renderer.

There are a number of advantages :

1. Less latency - the renderer sends the new position as soon as it is ready,
so there is less delay than if the GUI is requesting at timed intervals.
2. Easier - The GUI doesn't need to keep track of when it should and shouldn't
be requesting the current time from the renderer, the renderer doesn't need
to wait for a request, it can send the time
3. More efficient - A new seek position will only be sent to the GUI when the
time has changed.
4. No extra work, the socket interface we have can already handle it.

Disadvantages:

The only one I can think of is that the number of notifications sent is left
entirely up to the renderer; if the renderer doesn't send any, the GUI never
get's updated. On the other hand, I think the most likely reason why this
would happen is if the renderer had crashed or been killed :-) so I don't
think it is a major issue.

What do you think?

Cheers,
Jason