[Kdenlive-devel] dv2jpg

Jason Wood jasonwood at blueyonder.co.uk
Mon Aug 26 00:21:42 UTC 2002

On Sunday 25 Aug 2002 8:19 pm, booker wrote:
> So when importing dv files to Kdenlive! , will there be a automatically
> conversion made by Kdenlive! ?

It's hard to say at the moment. If it does happen, it is more of a job for the
cutter than the user interface. I haven't seen the cutter that Christian is
working on yet so I do not know how easy it will be to add.

Of course, eventually the aim is to support all file formats and codecs
available ;-) but that could be quite some time...

> Also this 'shrinkage' is unpleasant ...
>
> "During this process it converts a 720x480 29.970fps 48khz incoming a/v
> stream to 352x240 29.970fps 48khz mjpeg-encoded. Frame sizes are adjusted
> slightly if you're using PAL instead of NTSC."
>
> .. because I don't like watching such tiny movies ;-)
>
> But it's sufficing for making first tests (IMHO)

I agree. I do not want to spend too much time hacking around with something
which is not going to be a final solution - I would much rather look around
for a decodier which let's us edit directly from DV format (even if we still
have to render to MJPEG). However, I'm unsure as to how well Christian's
cutter will scale to multiple codecs.

However, the important thing is that the current cutter should not take
anywhere near as long to get finished, and will make kdenlive useful much
quicker than it otherwise would be :-)

Cheers,
Jason

--