[Kdenlive-devel] Hello! :-)

booker r.aberg at t-online.de
Fri Aug 23 21:02:55 UTC 2002

> At the moment, I am basing it largely on my experiences using Adobe
> Premier, and what I have seen of Final Cut Pro.

I like the interface of MoviePack. It's the best for my opinion, because it's
pretty intuitive and had some comfortable features like merging areas and
switch them by shortcuts.
For example:
There is a timeline and a Timegraph (displaying the keyframes) which using
the same space and can be switched by pressing a button or via shortcut.

There is a free version called MovieXone (limited only in the number of
usable tracks and effects): http://www.aist.com/international/index.html

> So, most initial functionality will work via drag 'n' drop and mouse. There
> will be a timeline, there will be a monitor to see what you are doing,
> there will be a project list where you can see all of the clips you have
> imported.

Fine with that! ;-)
BTW:
MoviePack offers also the possibility to merge a file browser with a album,
so user can import clips into the project using the file browser and then he
can switch to the album to see all allready importet clips or do other
actions using the album ...

> I tried protux (version 12, 14 & 15), but I don't seem to be able to get it
> to do anything other than bring up a blank screen or segfault, and I'm not
> sure why. I'll try again later this week.

Try to delete your 'protuxproject' dir (inside your home dir) to solve the
blank screen (this happen sometimes after a crash).

> From what little I learned, I assume it's a similar interface in many ways
> to Blender - it makes full use of the keyboard so that your not limited to
> merely three "commands" that can be achieved with the mouse.

But the method of using keyboard+mouse works in a VERY different way :-)

> I am quite fond of these kind of programs, but they tend not to be the
> easiest interfaces to learn, which is why I am sticking to the familiar
> click-and-drag interface for the moment, but I'll definitely be adding some
> similar "power user" mode at some later date.

Yes, the goal is to offer implanting and intuitive 'shortcuts'.
Also I think (IMHO ;-) once a user have learned a program using the JMB
functionallity then he will have less problems learning other programs using
JMB.
Because of the fact that the JMB actions are sometimes the same.
Try [Z]+LR or [E]+LR ...

greetings
booker