[Kdeev-books] Repositories

Ralf Nolden nolden at kde.org
Fri Sep 5 17:29:48 CEST 2003

On Friday 05 September 2003 15:43, caleb at aei-tech.com wrote:
> A few months ago, a friend of mine and I kicked around the idea of starting
> a web-site based around providing a "helpdesk" if you will for Qt and KDE
> related topics.  We were initially toying with qt-tips.com (a play on the
> american product Q-Tips).  The premise of the site was to provide a forum
> for people to go and discuss Qt/KDE related programming questions.  We had
> thought about using banner ads as a way of generating revenue, and also
> thought about offering a "premium" content area which contained programming
> samples and more in-depth tutorials on this topic.
>
> Would something like this still be desirable, in the opinion of people
> subscribed to this list?  I don't really have any firm vision on it, but it
> seems like a place to go for this stuff would be desired.  The idea is to
> make it freely available, but provide some premium content for those who
> would be willing to pay for it (akin to what www.lwn.net does now).
>
> I'm thinking that if I can get some people to go forward with this, that
> perhaps we can use this as a knowledge repository for the book(s)
> development.
>
> Comments?

Good idea, however I have two comments .-)

a) I'd prefer to have the commercial point not appear there if it's directly
connected to KDE

b) I'd also prefer a linuxwiki on developer.kde.org for collecting ideas,
details and so forth. If a wiki is editable by everyone then this would be a
good place to start commenting stuff directly - a proposal by a "fixed"
document is always hard to deal with if several people are involved.

Ralf