[Kdeev-books] returned home sick

Brad Hards bhards at bigpond.net.au
Mon Sep 1 01:02:14 CEST 2003

On Sun, 31 Aug 2003 21:58 pm, Ralf Nolden wrote:
> Anyway, we should proceed like the following:
>
> - collect the subjects on which there is already documentation available
> somewhere, developer.kde.org or elsewhere. There's also a site called
> www.zez.org or zeez.org that has some chapters on how to develop with Qt on
> certain aspects, you may want to check that out
Sounds good. I'm going to be away for a few days (in Melbourne, VIC), but I'd
like to put up my outline again - see below. In addition to the things below,
we need some or all of the following:
C++
Qt (Qt tutorial , Visual designer)
KDE Visual Dictionary
KDE Library API Reference
KDE in Python
Translating documents with KDE Tools
Writing manuals, KDE Style (KDE DocBook Author's Guide, KDE Style Guide)

Probably the old KDE 2 book can provide a useful guide too.

Brad

<!DOCTYPE Set PUBLIC "-//OASIS//DTD DocBook V4.1//EN" [

<!ENTITY dcop_chapter SYSTEM "dcop.sgml">
<!ENTITY dcopcli_chapter SYSTEM "dcop-cli.sgml">
<!ENTITY kabc_chapter SYSTEM "kabc.sgml">
<!ENTITY kautoconfig_chapter SYSTEM "kautoconfig.sgml">
<!ENTITY kdeconfig_chapter SYSTEM "kdeconfig.sgml">
<!ENTITY kdesecurity_chapter SYSTEM "kdesecurity.sgml">
<!ENTITY kdialog_chapter SYSTEM "kdialog.sgml">
<!ENTITY kioslave_chapter SYSTEM "kioslave.sgml">
<!ENTITY kiosk_chapter SYSTEM "kiosk.sgml">
<!ENTITY kparts_chapter SYSTEM "kparts.sgml">
<!ENTITY panel_chapter SYSTEM "panel.sgml">
<!ENTITY tutorial_chapter SYSTEM "tutorial.sgml">

<!ENTITY kdialog "<application>kdialog</application>">

]>

<Set>

<Book id=KDE>

 <BookInfo>
  <Title>Programming with KDE</>
  <AuthorGroup>
   <Editor><FirstName>Brad</><Surname>Hards</>
     <affiliation><orgname>Sigma Bravo Pty Limited</orgname></affiliation>
    </Editor>
  </AuthorGroup>
  <Abstract>
   <Para>
    This document is an early draft of a programmers guide to using
KDE. It also provides example code, released under the GPL.
   </>
   <Para>
    This document is matched to Qt 3.2 and KDE 3.2.
   </>
  </Abstract>
 </BookInfo>

<!-- clearly this might need more than one chapter -->
&tutorial_chapter;
<!-- what else is fundamental?
 * i18n and l10n
 * using autoconf and automake
 * maybe command line applications (KCmdLineArgs and the like)
 * maybe writing documentation
 * maybe translating documentation
 * using ARTS ??????
 * maybe starting other applications (KProcess, KProcIO,
startServiceByDesktopPath, KRun)
 * .desktop files and kded ?
 * kdeinit ?
 * kdeprint ?
- -->
&kdesecurity_chapter;
&kautoconfig_chapter;
&kdeconfig_chapter;

</part>

&kioslave_chapter;
&kparts_chapter;
&kiosk_chapter;
<!-- DCOP might not be that advanced, but don't introduce it too early -->
&dcop_chapter;
&kabc_chapter;
&panel_chapter;
<!-- what else is important
 * ARTS extension?
 * ECMAscripting?
 * libkdesu?
 * kimgio, using / extending ?
 * writing a KDE control centre module ?
 * writing KOffice filters ?
 * database connectivity ?
 * kxmlrpcd ?
- -->
</part>

<!-- mainly shell scripting -->
&kdialog_chapter;
&dcopcli_chapter;

<!-- pyKDE and other bindings should be here -->

</part>

</book>
</set>