[Kdeev-books] First cut - scripting chapter, dcop chapter and structure

Ralf Nolden nolden at kde.org
Sun Aug 31 16:09:45 CEST 2003

On Sonntag, 31. August 2003 14:53, Brad Hards wrote:
> On Sun, 31 Aug 2003 22:42 pm, Ralf Nolden wrote:
> > I notice that it's currently hard to find that site :-) but effectively
> > KDE e.V. consists of those people contributing to KDE over long periods
> > of time. It doesn't direct the development but takes care of everything
> > surrounding like refunding expenses, organizing developer meetings like
> > Nove Hrady and taking care of the Servers.
>
> OK, having read over it, I'm not a member of KDE e.V. AFAICT, and I still
> have some questions.
>
> Why does it want to own the copyright on the KDE development book?

It's not the KDE e.V. that wants this originally. I thought it was a good idea
due to various reasons, among others that the books project should be a
continuous project.

One of the goals of the KDE e.V. is the research for user interface design and
among others, publications about that research/development should be aimed
at.

> Is there money involved in this? Is it intended that the book will be
> published? Where is the money coming from, and where is it going to?

Yes, there will be money involved as soon as the book gets published by a
publisher if the KDE e.V. makes the publication with a certain publisher by a
contract (this is also the reason why the FDL is preferred to preserve the
rights of the individual authors and the KDE e.V.).

The money will come from the publisher (O'Reilly or whoever) and will go to
the account of KDE e.V. to finance developer meetings and so forth. As KDE
e.V. is a non-profit (read: unlike a not-for-profit) organization, it has to
spend the money it owns on a balance for the needs of the KDE project.
Therefore this book (or books) will also help to finance developer meetings
and infrastructure for KDE Development.

I'm more than willing to inform anyone about the reasons to have KDE e.V.
involved; but the goal of writing the book is that anyone can participate
just like on the KDE sourcecode as well. It is just a more convenient way to
have KDE e.V. publish the books as that will serve KDE as a whole anyway.

We could also have any individual have the copyright with granting the KDE
e.V. the right to publish the documents, modified or unmodified, according to
the needs of the KDE e.V. If someone has some experience with such a
procedure, please show up :-)  We could also ask at the GNU project/FSF how
to deal with that procedure; they probably have some experience there.

Ralf

> Brad

Ralf Nolden
nolden at kde.org