[Kdeev-books] First cut - scripting chapter, dcop chapter and structure

Brad Hards bhards at bigpond.net.au
Sun Aug 31 21:34:44 CEST 2003

[First post ?]

I've worked up the scripting chapter, and also edited a chapter for DCOP.
I've also created a outline of some of the other chapters that I think are
needed.

I've email'd coolo to try to get a CVS account, but haven't heard anything. So
you can have a tarball of the SGML source and PNG graphics, which is what I
would/will upload given access:
http://www.frogmouth.net/kdebook-2003-08-31.tar.bz2 (c. 545kB)
Tarball of the above, plus built HTML and PostScript.
http://www.frogmouth.net/kdebook-built-2003-08-31.tar.bz2 (c. 1.74 MB)

I'm looking for comments on the specifics of the kdialog chapter, and also on
general content issues. Right now, the top level document looks like:

<!DOCTYPE Set PUBLIC "-//OASIS//DTD DocBook V4.1//EN" [

<!ENTITY dcop_chapter SYSTEM "dcop.sgml">
<!ENTITY dcopcli_chapter SYSTEM "dcop-cli.sgml">
<!ENTITY kabc_chapter SYSTEM "kabc.sgml">
<!ENTITY kautoconfig_chapter SYSTEM "kautoconfig.sgml">
<!ENTITY kdeconfig_chapter SYSTEM "kdeconfig.sgml">
<!ENTITY kdesecurity_chapter SYSTEM "kdesecurity.sgml">
<!ENTITY kdialog_chapter SYSTEM "kdialog.sgml">
<!ENTITY kioslave_chapter SYSTEM "kioslave.sgml">
<!ENTITY kiosk_chapter SYSTEM "kiosk.sgml">
<!ENTITY kparts_chapter SYSTEM "kparts.sgml">
<!ENTITY panel_chapter SYSTEM "panel.sgml">
<!ENTITY tutorial_chapter SYSTEM "tutorial.sgml">

<!ENTITY kdialog "<application>kdialog</application>">

]>

<Set>

<Book id=KDE>

 <BookInfo>
  <Title>Programming with KDE</>
  <AuthorGroup>
   <Editor><FirstName>Brad</><Surname>Hards</>
     <affiliation><orgname>Sigma Bravo Pty Limited</orgname></affiliation>
    </Editor>
  </AuthorGroup>
  <Abstract>
   <Para>
    This document is an early draft of a programmers guide to using
KDE. It also provides example code, released under the GPL.
   </>
   <Para>
    This document is matched to Qt 3.2 and KDE 3.2.
   </>
  </Abstract>
 </BookInfo>

<!-- clearly this might need more than one chapter -->
&tutorial_chapter;
<!-- what else is fundamental?
 * i18n and l10n
 * using autoconf and automake
 * maybe command line applications (KCmdLineArgs and the like)
 * maybe writing documentation
 * maybe translating documentation
 * using ARTS ??????
 * maybe starting other applications (KProcess, KProcIO,
startServiceByDesktopPath, KRun)
 * .desktop files and kded ?
 * kdeinit ?
 * kdeprint ?
- -->
&kdesecurity_chapter;
&kautoconfig_chapter;
&kdeconfig_chapter;

</part>

&kioslave_chapter;
&kparts_chapter;
&kiosk_chapter;
<!-- DCOP might not be that advanced, but don't introduce it too early -->
&dcop_chapter;
&kabc_chapter;
&panel_chapter;
<!-- what else is important
 * ARTS extension?
 * ECMAscripting?
 * libkdesu?
 * kimgio, using / extending ?
 * writing a KDE control centre module ?
 * writing KOffice filters ?
 * database connectivity ?
 * kxmlrpcd ?
- -->
</part>

<!-- mainly shell scripting -->
&kdialog_chapter;
&dcopcli_chapter;

<!-- pyKDE and other bindings should be here -->

</part>

</book>
</set>

Comments? Thoughts? Is anyone here?