D17214: GCI [KDE Connect] Start New Conversation in Messaging App

Simon Redman noreply at phabricator.kde.org
Wed Nov 28 21:38:25 GMT 2018

sredman added a comment.

  In D17214#367762 <https://phabricator.kde.org/D17214#367762>, @andyholmes wrote:

  > > There is also an error when you type the phone number for a contact with whom there is already a conversation
  >
  > Something that might help when considering `address` vs `thread_id`, is to notice that if you receive an SMS on Android from any contact (ie. Mom/Dad) who share a phone number, Google/Android will just pick one and the messages will go there.
  >
  > In other words, it may no even be possible to have two different `thread_id`'s for the same `address`, so the `thread_id` is really only necessary for fetching messages. In the GSConnect UI, new incoming messages (whether for a new or existing conversation) are "routed" by `address`, not by `thread_id`, and I haven't found a situation where that breaks yet.

  Oh. Hm. All of our SMS app works on thread_id, with the assumption that they would be unique, or at least the desktop GUI would match the phone GUI. If I'm understanding what you're saying correctly, we're likely going to hit a wall at some point. In any case, fixing that is outside of the scope of this current patch.

REPOSITORY
  R224 KDE Connect