D9691: Add contacts-reading plugin (KDE side)

Simon Redman noreply at phabricator.kde.org
Fri Mar 30 05:09:00 UTC 2018

sredman added a comment.

  In D9691#235891 <https://phabricator.kde.org/D9691#235891>, @apol wrote:

  > Some nitpicking... looking much better.
  >  Please extrapolate the comments to similar situations.

  Nitpicking is good. That is how I learn!

INLINE COMMENTS

> mtijink wrote in contactsplugin.h:75
> Wouldn't `kdeconnect/vcard` make more sense?

The KPeople plugin KPeopleVCard expects vcards to be in that folder

> mtijink wrote in contactsplugin.h:122
> Why protected? We're not going to inherit from this, right?

The future is uncertain... Maybe someone wants to make a BetterContactsPlugin which supports more packets but lives alongside this plugin? I don't see any reason to stop them.

> mtijink wrote in kdeconnect_contacts.json:13
> How will the contact integrate with the desktop? E.g. will I see the contacts in KAddressBook? Or can I sent people e-mails using this?
>
> If the contacts conflict with what the user has already set up, I'd disable it by default. Otherwise, this is fine.

vcards are written to the folder where KPeopleVCard expects to find them. Then, once KPeople and KPeopleVCard are properly configured, any application which uses KPeople will automatically find the contacts

Writing contacts back to the phone is not (yet) supported

Kpeople supports merging contacts, and each KDE Connect device writes to its own folder, so if multiple contacts with the same information exist they can be merged within KPeople

REPOSITORY
  R224 KDE Connect