D11459: [WIP] Add plugins for controlling local & remote screen brightness

Friedrich W. H. Kossebau noreply at phabricator.kde.org
Mon Mar 19 18:18:13 UTC 2018

kossebau added a comment.

  In D11459#229462 <https://phabricator.kde.org/D11459#229462>, @apol wrote:

  > Shouldn't it be part of the application workflow? I'm afraid we may be doing something ad-hoc where it's not required.
  >  Maybe we just need an action that is "100% brightness". In fact this can be somewhat easily be implemented with RunCommands too.

  The use-case which inspired me has been this: using laptop with big screen for movie watching in the evening. as it got dark outside, the screen had been too bright by the time, so brightness needed adaption. later light in room was turned on, again need to adapt brightness to match. Being able to do with remote control by kdeconnect on the mobile avoids having to leave comfortable position and interrupt movie watching by stepping in front of device, also allows immediate check if new brightness is okay (no need to sit back just to stand up again to tune brightness some more). And only needs one hand, so other can keep holding the drink/beer bottle :)

  I think this is less app specific, but a general purpose remote control feature for the screen of some device (think also e.g. Pi-based entertainment/info center).. Just like the brightness control built directly into a device also is general purpose (function key handlers working independent of current app running, Battery & Brightness Plasma applet also being general purpose control, not app specific. The idea here with kde-connect would be to have a simple remote proxy for that control.

REPOSITORY
  R224 KDE Connect