D10972: [RFC] Exposing slideshow to MPRIS controllers

Friedrich W. H. Kossebau noreply at phabricator.kde.org
Sun Mar 11 03:08:06 UTC 2018

kossebau added a comment.

  In D10972#221146 <https://phabricator.kde.org/D10972#221146>, @rkflx wrote:

  > In terms of testing with the mediacontroller applet, apart from the Pause problem I found those issues:
  >
  > - Thumbnails for some pictures have incorrect rotation

  Yes, that is because currently the raw file url is only passed in the metadata. Please see initial question "how to provide thumbnails to the mpris controller via temp files whose url then can be passed in the metadata?" which would allow to handle that, by using instead a properly preprocessed thumbnail. Sadly we can only pass a url in the metadata, so it would need to be some file on the filesystem where the thumbnail is made available. Does Gwenview store the thumbnails in some cache files which could be reused for that?
  AFAIK the mpris:artUrl we can use here in the metadata per slide sadly does not specify format or recommended image size, so anything that is fine for Gwenview as preview should be fine with MPRIS as well. One of the things a future MPRIS spec should have better care for.

  > - Rotating images does not reflect in the preview, even after saving

  See above. And for after saving, possibly the media controller UI caches things in memory, or just ignores any rotation settings on loading.
  We should assume the average MPRIS controller is not very clever about image formats, so best gets some simple PNG file for the artUrl.

  > - Skipping through pictures with different aspect ratios results in the thumbnail extending over the bounds of the applet

  That seems some Plasma Media controller decision how to do the scaling into the square space used for the "track art". Not specified in MPRIS, so controller decision.

  > @kossebau How expensive is this feature in terms of CPU and DBus traffic for navigating in non-fullscreen browse mode if it were enabled by default for a default Plasma install, i.e. only the systray icon shown?

  I have no clue about the costs or how to measure that even. But I would not suspect this being expensive, unless people change images and play/slideshow states 1000x per second.

REPOSITORY
  R260 Gwenview