D10972: [RFC] Exposing slideshow to MPRIS controllers

Friedrich W. H. Kossebau noreply at phabricator.kde.org
Wed Mar 7 05:54:09 UTC 2018

kossebau added a comment.

  In D10972#220342 <https://phabricator.kde.org/D10972#220342>, @rkflx wrote:

  > @kossebau Slowly making progress with my review queue…

  Okay, looking forward to you reaching this one :)

  > Did not read all of the (lengthy) discussion yet, but for a head-start, could you give me a short summary on why I see a disabled pause button instead of a stop** button in the mediacontroller applet? (I discovered the context menu to stop the slideshow again only by accident, i.e. not something normal users would find.) – Thanks ;)
  >
  > **) In the sense of "make it not move anymore", I'll have to think about whether pause or stop would be right.

  The (old) MPRIS specification has the two concepts "Pause" (as in hold on current position in track) and "Stop" (as in reset to begin of track). With "Pause" being an optionally supported feature per track, which can be queried by a property CanPause.
  The maintainers of the Plasma mediacontroller designed the UI though with rather continious (music) players in mind, where one would only toggle between Pause and Play, and thus only need one button for that (both media controller as well as media controller overlay for taskmanager tooltip).

  My initial patches proposed to make that toggle button switch between Pause & Play or Stop & Play, depending on current value of CanPause property. Which was not winning over the minds of the maintainer(s). Too still get at least some version of the patches in in time for Plasma 5.12.3, so people can test & use the given patch here for Gwenview already without having to patch Plasma themselves, I removed that part for the middle button in the media controller(s) again and just made the patches fix the usage of the wrong unconditional PlayPause action everywhere.

  So this is not the final solution yet and needs more thinking/discussions/design. But at least progress to the old state.

REPOSITORY
  R260 Gwenview