D10972: [RFC] Exposing slideshow to MPRIS controllers

Nicolas Fella noreply at phabricator.kde.org
Sat Mar 3 00:02:18 UTC 2018

nicolasfella added a comment.

  In D10972#217156 <https://phabricator.kde.org/D10972#217156>, @kossebau wrote:

  > Thanks for feedback from that side, very welcome. Actually I plan to go your direction once the service side is done, as I would like to enhance the KDE Connect client side here as well.
  >  My idea would be that it could be extended to support tracklist/playlst features of existing MPRIS2 spec, and then serve as testing ground for new specs
  >  So in the end one is possible to do all things one currently can do with the app-specific LO Impress Remote app: https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Impress_Remote

  Awesome, your contribution would be very welcome!

  > Any chance KDE Connect can instead extend its support of the MediaPlayer2.Player interface? There Stop & Pause are two distinct different operations (Reset vs. Hold), and the property `CanPause` is an official flag to declare the ability to also do Pause.
  >  Why I would rather like to see KDE Connect extended:
  >  Right now the existing implementation of Gwenview only supports the concept of Stop (i.e. cancel show and reset to "begin" of current track/slide). While it might be an option to work on this and help the curently abilitites of KDE Connect, a real "Pause" does not make that much sense in the domain of a still image slide show (only when it's an video, which I have not yet really tested).
  >  Then there can be players which do live streams (think webcam or babymonitor)  without any buffering, so where the concept of Pause also does not apply. Yet one might want to turn on & off those using KDE Connect.

  A use case for pause might be: Your're watching a slideshow with auto-advance but need to go to the bathroom and pause it for x minutes.
  I think it would be best to support both stop and pause and adapting KDE Connect should be fairly easy

  >> - sadly mpris doesn't seem to have a canControlVolume slider, so we can't disable the slider in KDE Connect when its useless. But it would be nice if we could control the video volume from it.
  >
  > Still need to learn how videos are supported (so if with sound), but will add then once I found out. Hints from #gwenview <https://phabricator.kde.org/tag/gwenview/> members welcome :)

  I have an idea how to avoid a useless volume slider but still have it when needed, though it would be outside of the specification. When no volume slider is desired (e.g. when displaying an image) we could report -1 as volume and KDE Connect (and other KDE Mpris consumers) could take this as a hint to disable the slider.

REPOSITORY
  R260 Gwenview