D10972: [RFC] Exposing slideshow to MPRIS controllers

Friedrich W. H. Kossebau noreply at phabricator.kde.org
Fri Mar 2 23:42:54 UTC 2018

kossebau added a comment.

  In D10972#217095 <https://phabricator.kde.org/D10972#217095>, @nicolasfella wrote:

  > Really nice idea! From my KDE Connect perspective it would be cool to have those things:

  Thanks for feedback from that side, very welcome. Actually I plan to go your direction once the service side is done, as I would like to enhance the KDE Connect client side here as well.
  My idea would be that it could be extended to support tracklist/playlst features of existing MPRIS2 spec, and then serve as testing ground for new specs
  So in the end one is possible to do all things one currently can do with the app-specific LO Impress Remote app: https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Impress_Remote

  And all by keeping to the abstractions as possible, and only expose features in the UI if the MPRIS service supports them. So simple audio player -> same UI as currently. Complex media show client -> UI similar to Impress Remote.

  Bonus points would be that players might inspired to support more features known from presentation software.
  Seeing a movie and want to point your friends/students to a spot in a scene? Just rewind to the scene and use the image marker UI (as known from presentation tools) to highlight the area etc.

  > - the pause methode stoppes/pauses the slideshow. It seems natural and fits better into KDE Connect than stop

  Any chance KDE Connect can instead extend its support of the MediaPlayer2.Player interface? There Stop & Pause are two distinct different operations (Reset vs. Hold), and the property `CanPause` is an official flag to declare the ability to also do Pause.
  Why I would rather like to see KDE Connect extended:
  Right now the existing implementation of Gwenview only supports the concept of Stop (i.e. cancel show and reset to "begin" of current track/slide). While it might be an option to work on this and help the curently abilitites of KDE Connect, a real "Pause" does not make that much sense in the domain of a still image slide show (only when it's an video, which I have not yet really tested).
  Then there can be players which do live streams (think webcam or babymonitor)  without any buffering, so where the concept of Pause also does not apply. Yet one might want to turn on & off those using KDE Connect.

  > - sadly mpris doesn't seem to have a canControlVolume slider, so we can't disable the slider in KDE Connect when its useless. But it would be nice if we could control the video volume from it.

  Still need to learn how videos are supported (so if with sound), but will add then once I found out. Hints from #gwenview <https://phabricator.kde.org/tag/gwenview/> members welcome :)

REPOSITORY
  R260 Gwenview