Access to SD card

karl-heinz-1950 at web.de karl-heinz-1950 at web.de
Mon Jun 25 13:53:19 UTC 2018

Hello,

I raised some time ago the topic on this DL that accessing the SD card doesn't work properly in quite a few cases. Let me wrap up the result of my analysis on a high level:

- Issues are due to SAF (Storage Access Framework) on Android. SAF is not implemented in kde connect
- Access to mobile filesystem is done via ssh using apache mina, using a very old version.

The question is now how to continue with that issue.

- Leave everything as it is? -> Means basically 95% of all Android users cannot access the SD card, might only work on very old devices
- Remove the feature and communicating clearly that this won't work, to manage expectations?
- Move away from access via ssh fs? -> Easily possible on the Android side, but probably not possible on the KDE end
- To get rid of the issue with the empty directory, it might be worth a try to upgrade the to the latest ssh library. --> quite some changes to the old library, I have to admit I failed in trying to update to a new version. Someone knowing more about the ssh library should give it a try
- Implement SAF and distinguish between all different API levels, or drop at least some older API levels?
- ....

I am still willing to help but I don't want to run into a direction which is end the end not accepted. So if some maintainer takes a decision that the issue is tackled in this or that way, then we would be able to proceed.

Comments?

Have a good day!