Contacts Plugin

Nicolas Fella nicolas.fella at gmx.de
Tue Jan 16 19:56:30 UTC 2018

On Dienstag, 16. Januar 2018 01:43:07 CET Aleix Pol wrote:
> On Sat, Jan 6, 2018 at 3:03 AM, Simon Redman <simon at ergotech.com> wrote:
> > I have just put up a contacts plugin for review
> >
> > In its current form, it is extremely primitive. Probably too basic to be
> > usable. The KDE-side has a DBus slot which takes no arguments but sends
> > a request to the Android side for its entire contacts book. The contacts
> > book comes back, and is then sent back on DBus as a massive list of
> > strings, one name, followed by one number.
> >
> > I know that there are projects/people other than me interested in this
> > functionality, so I am looking for input from those people for what they
> > would like to see in terms of a better DBus API
> >
> > Also code-review feedback, because I don't have much real-world
> > experience :(
>
> Hi Simon,
> It's definitely interesting, something we have discussed in the past even.
> How do you expect to present these contacts?
>
> Aleix
Hi,

thanks for your work on this!

Before implementing things we should think about the use-cases we want to
serve. I was thinking about a import from device function in KAddressbook.
Another often demanded feature is writing SMS from the desktop. We also should
care about privacy here (it got selected as one of our primary goals).
Obviously the user has to consent by giving the contacts permission, but she/
he might want to restrict access to certain applications, so we might need to
restrict who can read from the DBus interface.

Once we have a clear vision on this we can worry about implementation details.

Nicolas