T8529: Announce enbaled plugins to remote device

Nicolas Fella noreply at phabricator.kde.org
Sun Apr 15 21:18:37 UTC 2018

nicolasfella created this task.
nicolasfella added a project: KDE Connect.

TASK DESCRIPTION
  Andy Holmes
  @nicofee since I see you're on plugins right now, has it ever been discussed making *Capabilities in the identity packet dynamic?
  Nico Fe
  You mean announcing new capabilities after pairing?
  Andy Holmes
  more like 'activeCapabilites', as in I can currently handle these packets
  If i recall kdeconnectd has a DBus property/method loadedPlugins, but that's for local I believe
  Nico Fe
  So you would like to be able to get the capability infromation from the identity package on request?
  Andy Holmes
  yeah, as an indication what plugins the remote device has enabled
  there's an obvious hurdle to using that disable enabling plugins the other device hasnt enabled, but could give an indication "/!\ The remote device hasn't enabled this plugin"
  just curious if that was ever proposed
  Nico Fe
  AFAIK not, but I've only been around for a year or so
  Let me check whether caps are re-announced when plugins get en/disabled
  Okay, obviously that is not the case. What about sending an Identity package (or something containing the caps) when the enabled plugins change? Or is there a reason for plugins to have dynamic caps?
  Andy Holmes
  probably not plugin (only exception I know of being sms), but it could be useful to know what plugins/capabilities a remote device has enabled
  currently you can only tell what packets a device could *possibly* handle, not what it actually will if you send one
  Nico Fe
  Ah, I see. I assumed that only the caps of the enabled plugins are announced, but I just saw that this isn't the case. So, how does only announcing the caps of enabled plugins in the identity package and re-announcing them when the enabled plugins change sound?
  Andy Holmes
  Well, the only problem with that is it would prevent another client from loading the plugin, since it would think it just doesn't support it. So if it were phone<->phone neither could enable a plugin the other hadn't already enabled, which neither could :)
  Nico Fe
  On the other hand, it would be useful to know which plugins the other device theoretically can handle though\
  Andy Holmes
  Yeah, I think it would have to be seperate field
  Nico Fe
  So, add a list of enabled caps to the identity package and re-send when changed?
  Andy Holmes
  something like incomingEnabled, outgoingEnabled
  what do you think, though? Useful?
  Nico Fe
  I guess
  Andy Holmes
  heh, well maybe I'll bring it up on the mailinglist so everyone sees it and the idea gets some more feedback/use-cases

TASK DETAIL
  https://phabricator.kde.org/T8529

WORKBOARD
  https://phabricator.kde.org/project/board/159/