Broken/incomplete JPEGs from phoneThumbnail field

Andy Holmes andrew.g.r.holmes at gmail.com
Sat Nov 4 03:16:42 UTC 2017

Hi,

I'm writing a small program to interact with the KDE Connect android
app in GLib/Gtk and I'm encountering problems with the base64
phoneThumbnails being transmitted with telephony events.

I'm not at all familiar with QPixmap but I assume it's comparable to
GdkPixbuf, so doubt this is the problem. I've used the utility
jpeginfo to confirm the image is broken and Eye of Gnome to confirm
that image can be opened (and I'm decoding the data correctly) but is
corrupted. I'll attach the corrupted JPEG and below is the
jpeginfo/GdkPixbuf output:

jpeginfo:

test.jpg   96 x 96   24bit JFIF  Normal Huffman    4191  Premature end
of JPEG file  [WARNING]

GdkPixbuf:

GdkPixbuf.PixbufError: Error interpreting JPEG image file (Application
transferred too few scanlines)

I can also confirm that libfolks is obtaining the same avatars
correctly, so I don't believe these images are broken at the source.
Could anyone advise on how I might try and track these errors down?