telepathy-kdeconnect

Simon Redman simon at ergotech.com
Wed May 24 04:38:34 UTC 2017

Hi,

Here are my thoughts about what kinds of data would be needed to keep
track of contacts and accounts for the telepathy plugin:

Data Needed for Contact:
  * Contact Name - Human-readable name for this contact
  * Phone Number - Identify the specific contact
    ° Maybe we never use this, but easier to plumb it through now and
never use it than band-aid it on later...
    ° What about contacts with multiple numbers?
      - VCard entries have a "type" parameter. "Cell","Home",etc.
  * Contact Photo
    ° Added to the wishlist...
    ° TelepathyQt library's Contact class has a requestAvatarData()
method. Maybe we could hook into that to send a request to the phone for
the image.

Data Needed for Account:
  * Device_ID - Some key unique to a device used only within KDE Connect
    ° Differentiate accounts so we can choose which one to use to respond
  * Device Name - Attach a human-readable name to the account
  * Don't care about phone number associated with device
    ° We just send a message to a device and say "Send this"
    ° What to do about multi-SIM phones?

Comments on more or less data to use to represent a contact or an
account are appreciated!

My problem is: How should the information for the account get from KDE
Connect to telepathy-kdeconnect? One thing I've noticed so far is that
there is an instance of each plugin per device, so "Send me all the
connected devices" probably won't work. Do plugins always exist when a
device is paired, even if it is disconnected? (Do plugins have a way to
query whether their associated device is connected?)

It is almost starting to look like we need a new (KDE Connect) plugin
which supports sending/receiving SMS as well as getting the contact
information. This plugin could be more tightly bound to Telepathy than
the current Telephony plugin, such that its only role is to communicate
with the telepathy plugin.

Thanks,
Simon