Building and installing KDE Connect from source

Raphaël Jakse raphael+kdeconnect at jakse.fr
Sun Mar 5 09:39:32 UTC 2017

Hello,

Thank you for making KDE Connect, it is a useful piece of work.

I would like to study its the code. I'm unable to build and install
kdeconnect from source (git master).

I am running Kubuntu 16.10 x86-64 (Plasma 5.7.5, Frameworks 5.26.0, Qt
5.6.1). I did not find any build / installation guide so here is what I did:

- uninstall kdeconnect packages from the distribution.
- install dependencies for kdeconnect
- Then:

git clone git://anongit.kde.org/kdeconnect-kde.git
cd kdeconnect-kde
mkdir build
cd build
cmake ..
make -j5
sudo make install

I did not see any error. I restarted plasmashell using killall
plasmashell ; plasmashell. The KDE Connect icon shows up in plasma. If I
click on it, I get an error message. Translated in English, it says:
Error loading the QML file:
file:///usr/share/plasma/plasmoids/org.kde.kdeconnect/contents/ui/main.qml:24:1:
module "org.kde.kdeconnect" is not installed.

Using the kdeconnect-indicator, if I try clicking on "Configure", it
does not find the shared library kcm_kdecconnect.so.

I worked around it running: sudo ln -s
/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/plugins/kcm_kdeconnect.so
/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/qt5/plugins/
Then, it seems to run correctly.

(I tried using prefix /usr for installing kdeconnect since it failed in
/usr/local, that is why it is in /usr)

I did not succeed in working around the "module "org.kde.kdeconnect" is
not installed".

Did I do something wrong for the kc_connect.so library not to end up in
the qt5/plugins folder and for the plasma complaining for the module
that is not installed?

Kind regards,
Raphaël