SMS Reply on desktop not working

Nick Cross kdeconnect at goots.org
Tue Nov 8 11:43:22 UTC 2016

On 08/11/16 11:18, Aleix Pol wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 8, 2016 at 11:28 AM, Nick Cross <kdeconnect at goots.org> wrote:
>> Maybe I'm misinterpreting but I'm not sure thats it.
>>
>> The problem is not that notifications aren't going away, but that they are
>> and there is no way of accessing the SMS Reply button.
>>
>> When I receive a text message I see a popup notification that has the reply
>> button.  This soon disappears.
>
> Precisely, we want Plasma not to discard them, right? (I'm assuming
> you use Plasma)

Apologies should have been more explicit. Yes, using Plasma (Fedora 24).
KDE Connect version kdeconnectd-1.0.1-1.fc24.x86_64.

>> What I would like to see is:
>>
>> Allow the left click on the applet to bring up the menu and enhance
>> messaging items to add a reply button. This would allow access to the SMS
>> reply functionality *outside* of the notification popup.
>>
>> Alternatively, is it possible to access SMS directly, could there be a new
>> UI to do that?
>
> We don't want to store SMS in the plasmoid, do we? I'd say we should
> see how we can use the notifications in a more smart way so that SMS
> are properly dealt with over there.

I guess options could be:

Ensure the SMS notification is fully persistent, can't timeout and can
only be dismissed manually by the user.

Allow the plasmoid applet to not only be able to dismiss notifications
but reply to SMS.

> OTOH, it's definitely possible to make a different UI. In git there's
> already sms support in kdeconnect-cli, and we could add elsewhere. But
> I wouldn't want random UI because we are not integrating properly with
> the system.

Understood re random UI.

Complete aside: the integrated copy/paste functionality between the
phone and computer is truly brilliant and has saved hours of my time!

Thanks!

Nick