Folder Sync Feature Idea

Achilleas Koutsou achilleas.k at gmail.com
Sat Jul 30 08:07:03 UTC 2016

I've been thinking a bit about this feature in terms of implementation and
there are a few design decisions that need to be made.

Directory synchronisation, especially if it's bidirectional, is incredibly
power consuming. The Android version of SyncThing, for example, has the
option to only run when the phone is plugged in. I assume using inotify
(android.os.FileObserver) would alleviate some of the processing (reduces
scanning), but it's something I'd like to see tested extensively.

To me, this feature could go two ways:
1. Simple file sync on a specific directory (maybe even the entire /sdcard
?), with very few configuration options and sane defaults.
2. Full blown file sync feature, with optional one-way sync, configurable
target directory, and some power saving options like time stamp instead of
hash comparison, etc.

Generally, I consider KDE connect a wonderful app that just exists on my
phone and makes my life easier. I never notice it, I never think about it,
and I'm just used to the idea that, for example, my clipboards are
synchronised between devices. It is the perfect app. File synchronisation
is a bit of a beast. I'd like to see it done properly, in the spirit of KDE
connect: Invisible, extremely useful, and reliable.