kdeconnect-kde: how to get it running?

Aleix Pol aleixpol at kde.org
Wed Feb 24 12:16:43 UTC 2016

On Wed, Feb 24, 2016 at 12:53 PM, Simon Röhrl <simon_roehrl at web.de> wrote:
> Plasma starts all the enabled plasmoids?
> How can I restart the plasmoid after a recompile?
>
> I installed to the default: /usr/local
>
> On Wednesday 24 February 2016 12:45:40 Aleix Pol wrote:
>> On Wed, Feb 24, 2016 at 12:34 PM, Simon Röhrl <simon_roehrl at web.de> wrote:
>> > Hey there,
>> >
>> > I need some help getting the kdeconnect-kde running. I compiled
>> > successfully.
>> >
>> > What do I need to do to get it running like it would e.g. in a vanilla-
>> > kubuntu?
>> > Starting kdeconnectd seems obvious, but how can I start the plasma-thing
>> > in
>> > the taskbar? I removed the packages from the kubuntu maintainers, because
>> > want to run my own. Or do I still need the 'kdeconnect-plasma' package?
>>
>> You just need to enable the plasmoid. If it's not available is
>> probably because it's installed somewhere Plasma can't see it.
>>
>> To which prefix did you install kdeconnect-kde?
>>
>> Aleix

For testing, I use plasmawindowed, maybe you can use it to check
everything works as expected there, run "plasmawindowed
org.kde.kdeconnect".

As for the systray, you can right click to it and go to the settings.
You'll see a list of available plasmoids there.

If you want to install like the distro would (but then install in
/usr) you can use KDE_INSTALL_USE_QT_SYS_PATHS=ON, but then be careful
as it will be in /usr. If you do that, remember to "make uninstall" to
remove the files in /usr/local first.

Aleix