New Plugin: Python extension (and Remote KDE unlock)

Srivatsan Iyer supersaiyanmode.rox at gmail.com
Tue Aug 16 08:50:27 UTC 2016

Hello,

I have been writing a kdeconnectd plugin that embeds a python interpreter
allowing scripts to be written to extend functionality. These scripts can
respond to android system events (such as phone unlock) or be manually
invoked via the Android App.

There's a bare-bones implementation in my Github repository (links below),
that is able to load two scripts: one that locks the KDE session from the
android device, and the other that listens to android device unlock event
and also unlocks KDE. (Link to a gif below).

I have a few questions and I'd really appreciate you guys' response.

1) Although I do not see it within the repository here:
github.com/KDE/kdeconnect-kde, is this something someone else is working on
locally? If so, I'd love to collaborate and contribute.

2) This point is valid provided the plugin sounds like a good idea. The
current implementation is really not that robust and has a lot of rough
edges. I have about 10-15 non-trivial todos before I can even think of a
PR.  Eventually, this plugin will expose basic desktop functionalities of
KDE (like notifications), and the android device (like other calls, texts,
or notification access). Additionally I am also thinking about virtualenvs
and ability to install 3rd party packages for these python scripts. This,
surely, is too ambitious for me. But in the short term, I feel I am done
with a basic skeleton and would like others taking a look. What would be
the best process? I can surely submit a review at git.reviewboard.kde.org,
but it might take me a few months to fully finish this and submit for
review. Or is it okay submit work that is (somewhat) complete but not ready
to be merged? I am looking for something that allows for a lot of going
back and forth.

Links:
- kdeconnect-kde diff:
https://github.com/KDE/kdeconnect-kde/compare/master...supersaiyanmode:master