What to do about SSL?

Aleix Pol aleixpol at kde.org
Thu Apr 21 10:48:10 UTC 2016

On Thu, Apr 21, 2016 at 9:20 AM, David Kahles <david.kahles96 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello everyone,
>
> As we shouldn't do any changes to network code while the SSL implementation
> is ongoing, I wonder whether it's time to merge the sslrefactor branch.
>
> The only reason for holding it back, is that it doesn't work with devices
> using Android older than 4.1. Unfortunally I don't have such a device to
> fix this.
> I just tested the sslrefactor branch with my Nexus 4 (Android 5.1) and it
> worked fine. So the question is:
>
> Does anyone has time and a device to fix this, or should we drop support
> for older Android devices? According to [1], only about 5% of the android
> devices are using Android older than 4.1.

I've been testing the sslrefactor branch and while it works, it still
needs some polishing, there's some cases where it feels like the
different devices aren't seeing each other. I'd suggest looking into
those cases first so that we can safely get the change in.

Furthermore, the change isn't backwards-compatible on C++, so it's
also important to properly test the Android application sslrefactor on
current master to make sure that users will be able to adopt it
painlessly.

Aleix