KDE Connect File Sync plugin

Ashish Bansal bansal.ashish096 at gmail.com
Fri Sep 11 17:40:09 UTC 2015

On Tue, Sep 8, 2015 at 12:01 AM, vineet garg <grgvineet at gmail.com> wrote:

> There is QFileSystemWatcher in Qt

Yeah we are already using that for this purpose but problem is that it only
watch on limited no. of files. It uses inotify(in linux) for that. But I
think that limitation can be removed as baloo also keep watch over large
number of files and it asks permission to cross that limit. So, I'll either
have to check baloo code or ping Vishesh for that.
Anyway check other solution given below.

and a FileObserver class in android which can monitor a specified directory
> so that we don't need to calculate and compare hash each time. I have never
> used them, but looking at the documentation it should work fine. Plus there
> can be periodical packets like in every one hour with list of files with
> their hashes to update any file if needed or this can be only when the
> device is added to sync any file added when the device was not reachable.
>
> Cheers!
> Vineet
>

> On Mon, Sep 7, 2015 at 9:06 PM, Aleix Pol <aleixpol at kde.org> wrote:
>
>> On Mon, Sep 7, 2015 at 9:44 AM, Ashish Bansal
>> <bansal.ashish096 at gmail.com> wrote:
>> > Hi everyone,
>> >
>> > Last week, I had done some work on File Synchronization plugin in
>> > kdeconnect-kde. I have tested it on two computers, and it seems to work
>> up
>> > to some extent \o/
>> >
>> > You can check it out in filesync branch. I have stated all the problems
>> in
>> > current implementation, in the last commit message.
>> > Well I just to inform everyone about it, so that someone doesn't re-do
>> > already done work as Albert, Aleix and David have plans to work on
>> > kdeconnect during this period.
>> >
>> > Anyway Quoting from the commit message :
>> > Basic Implementation of File Synchronization plugin
>> > Well It's just a basic implementation and works upto some extent. It
>> > currently have some problems like QFileSystemWatcher can watch over only
>> > limited number of files, files with extension ".part" cannot be
>> transferred,
>> > transfers the temporary files created by some applications (text
>> editors),
>> > just replaces the older file with newer file."
>> >
>> > I was quite busy with college stuff from last week, so didn't get time
>> > work on it. It would be great if someone can come up with ideas to
>> resolve
>> > these problems.
>>
>> Hi,
>> I've looked into your branch. It looks good, I think it would be good
>> if you created a Review Request so we can polish the current state of
>> the patch and build upon. At the moment it looks like it should work
>> provided some issues are fixed. It's an promising start.
>>
>> The hard part will be to nail down the ::compareAndRequestFiles
>> algorithm and make sure it's called when it should.
>>
>> Have you made any research on how others do it? (e.g. dropbox, owncloud,
>> etc)

Dropbox uses rsync for that purpose and rsync splits up the file into
pieces, calculate their hash and transfers that part whose hash doesn't
match. So, we can either use this method or just use use rsync over ssh.

For desktop to desktop, one of the those will start ssh server and other
one would connect to it and use rsync.

For android, I have found java library for ssh. We can use that for same
purpose.
It's surely gonna speed up the file transfer as rsync is best at sync.

What do you think about using rsync?

>> Cheers!
>> Aleix

*Regards,*