KDE Connect File Sync plugin

Aleix Pol aleixpol at kde.org
Mon Sep 7 15:36:05 UTC 2015

On Mon, Sep 7, 2015 at 9:44 AM, Ashish Bansal
<bansal.ashish096 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> Last week, I had done some work on File Synchronization plugin in
> kdeconnect-kde. I have tested it on two computers, and it seems to work up
> to some extent \o/
>
> You can check it out in filesync branch. I have stated all the problems in
> current implementation, in the last commit message.
> Well I just to inform everyone about it, so that someone doesn't re-do
> already done work as Albert, Aleix and David have plans to work on
> kdeconnect during this period.
>
> Anyway Quoting from the commit message :
> Basic Implementation of File Synchronization plugin
> Well It's just a basic implementation and works upto some extent. It
> currently have some problems like QFileSystemWatcher can watch over only
> limited number of files, files with extension ".part" cannot be transferred,
> transfers the temporary files created by some applications (text editors),
> just replaces the older file with newer file."
>
> I was quite busy with college stuff from last week, so didn't get time to
> work on it. It would be great if someone can come up with ideas to resolve
> these problems.

Hi,
I've looked into your branch. It looks good, I think it would be good
if you created a Review Request so we can polish the current state of
the patch and build upon. At the moment it looks like it should work
provided some issues are fixed. It's an promising start.

The hard part will be to nail down the ::compareAndRequestFiles
algorithm and make sure it's called when it should.

Have you made any research on how others do it? (e.g. dropbox, owncloud, etc)

Cheers!
Aleix