How to resolve network port conflict for 1714 and 1715

Albert Vaca albertvaka at gmail.com
Sun Nov 29 14:57:16 UTC 2015

+kdeconnect at kde.org

Hi Cristin,

I'm sorry you had trouble because of KDE Connect, and we can definitely
find a solution. There are plans to release a non-backwards-compatible
change to KDE Connect that we are currently developing, so we could bundle
the port change together with it. This should be enough to solve our
problem. However, it will take a few months for the major distributions to
provide updated packages after the release. In the meantime, I'm afraid
that all we can do as a mitigation is is to ask your customers who are
having problems to uninstall KDE Connect.

Albert

On Nov 26, 2015 10:34 PM, "Cristin Barghiel" <cb at sidefx.com> wrote:

> Dear Albert,
>
> I am writing to you on behalf of the R&D team at Side Effects Software (
www.sidefx.com), a VFX and animation software company based in Canada. Our
software “Houdini” is used by CG studios around the world and has
contributed to virtually all the VFX-heavy blockbusters over the past two
decades.

> The vast majority of our large studio clients run Linux. In recent days,
several of them have approached us regarding issues with newer versions of
KDE. It turns out that KDEConnect uses ports 1714 and 1715, and since
KDEConnect is started when KDE starts, the ports become unavailable by the
time our users try to run Houdini.

> These two ports are crucial to running our software. To ensure
uninterrupted service, we took the precaution of registering both ports
with IANA in the 1990s:

https://www.iana.org/assignments/service-names-port-numbers/service-names-port-numbers.txt

> Note also that on popular distros such as Red Hat Linux and also on Mac
OS X, /etc/services has always had these entries listed as such.

> We kindly ask your assistance in resolving this port conflict, as it
impacts our clients in a serious way. Would you be able to allocate
different ports to KDEConnect?

> If you believe I should post this message on the KDEConnect mailing list,
I will gladly do so. I thought I should first contact you directly though.