KDE Connect for Jolla

Aleix Pol aleixpol at kde.org
Fri Mar 13 00:03:57 UTC 2015

On Thu, Mar 12, 2015 at 9:47 PM, Albert Vaca <albertvaka at gmail.com> wrote:
> +kdeconnect mailing list
>
> On Thu, Mar 12, 2015 at 1:34 AM, Andrea Scarpino <scarpino at kde.org> wrote:
>> Hi there Albert,
>>
>> I'm interested in writing KDE Connect for Jolla. I know there's a GSoC
>> about
>> a multiplatform version, but unfortunately I cannot take part to this
>> GSoC.
>>
>> I'm starting by reproducing KDEConnect for Android architecture and
>> classes,
>> or do you have some hint for me?
>>
>> I know I should wait for GSoC's end, but really, I want KDE Connect NAU
>> :-P
>>
>> Cheers!
>>
>> --
>> Andrea
>
> Hi Andrea,
>
> Thanks for your interest :D Becoming more cross-platform is one of the
> goals for KDE Connect this year and that's why there is a GSOC project
> about it, but of course the more help we get the better :)
>
> Even though, I would take a different approach than writing a port of
> the Android client. Note that the core of KDE Connect is symmetrical:
> this means you can connect an Android client to another Android client
> or a C++/Qt client to another C++/Qt client. For Jolla, I think it
> will be easier for you to adapt the existing Qt client, than writting
> a new port from Android.
>
> Ideally we should have a single project which can compile for both the
> desktop and Jolla (and whatever else), just by changing/disabling the
> parts that don't work or we don't need (like the KCM, or the Plasmoid)
> and adding other platform-specific parts that we might need (like a
> new user interface for handhelds, platform-specific plugins, etc.).
>
> Also this is going to be increasingly easier because we are already
> working in this direction in the frameworks branch by removing KDE
> dependencies from the core components. In a future, we can have
> a common repo with all the common components and then other repos
> with the components for other platforms.
>
> What do you think? Do you like this approach?
>
> Albert

Hi,
I would suggest you to give it a go and try to compile the daemon for
Jolla right away. From there we can see what's important to strip out.

I have some experience with doing this kind of thing for the N9 and
Android, so feel free to push any questions you might have. I won't be
able to directly help on the Jolla port as I don't have such a device,
but I'm interested in the problem to solve.

Aleix