Notifications Desktop -> Mobile

Holger Kaelberer hk at elberer.de
Thu Jul 2 14:55:39 UTC 2015

On 02.07.2015 00:31, Aleix Pol wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 1, 2015 at 9:42 PM, Holger Kaelberer <hk at elberer.de> wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I discovered kdeconnect as a really useful tool. Thanks for what you did
>> already!
>>
>> A feature I was missing so far, is the propagation of desktop notifications
>> to mobile devices, e.g. notify me on mobile about messages in jabber/IRC
>> etc. that is not available on the mobile side.
>>
>> On my desktop I currently use a small wrapper program for that, that proxies
>> Notify calls seen on my desktop's DBUS org.freedesktop.Notification
>> interface to a kdeconnect ping-message to my mobile device-ID.
>>
>> This might be useful to others, too.
>>
>> I could image to extend the notification-plugins on both sides like the
>> following:
>>
>> - On desktop: Allow for 'posting' notifications (from applications other
>> than "kdeconnect"), maybe extend the kcm stuff about a blacklist to allow
>> for excluding some notification providers.
>>
>> - On mobile: Allow for receiving notification packets and maybe maintaining
>> a notfications-backlog as is done on desktop side (and prohibit resending
>> notfications back to other kdeconnect devices). Notification updates could
>> be based on app_name+summary params from the
>> org.freedesktop.Notifications.Notify signature.
>>
>> What do you think?
>
> I think it is interesting. Also Desktop <-> Desktop it could be useful as well.

Fine, then I'll look into this.

Yes, to my understanding desktop <-> desktop would be covered by that too.

Holger

BTW, as I'll be at Randa again this year and put on my schedule to better understand kdeconnect this
is a good opportunity to get already a bit closer to your codebase. ;-)

Do you already have set up some topics that you expect to address at Randa?