Notifications Desktop -> Mobile

Holger Kaelberer hk at elberer.de
Wed Jul 1 19:42:39 UTC 2015

Hi all,

I discovered kdeconnect as a really useful tool. Thanks for what you did already!

A feature I was missing so far, is the propagation of desktop notifications to mobile devices, e.g.
notify me on mobile about messages in jabber/IRC etc. that is not available on the mobile side.

On my desktop I currently use a small wrapper program for that, that proxies Notify calls seen on my
desktop's DBUS org.freedesktop.Notification interface to a kdeconnect ping-message to my mobile
device-ID.

This might be useful to others, too.

I could image to extend the notification-plugins on both sides like the following:

- On desktop: Allow for 'posting' notifications (from applications other than "kdeconnect"), maybe
extend the kcm stuff about a blacklist to allow for excluding some notification providers.

- On mobile: Allow for receiving notification packets and maybe maintaining a notfications-backlog
as is done on desktop side (and prohibit resending notfications back to other kdeconnect devices).
Notification updates could be based on app_name+summary params from the
org.freedesktop.Notifications.Notify signature.

What do you think?

Thanks,
   Holger