Replacing installed KDEConnect with compiled KDEConnect

Joshua Christopher joshuadevmail at gmail.com
Sat Aug 8 05:00:18 UTC 2015

Hello,

What is the proper way to replace the repository-installed version of
kdeconnect with my compiled version of kdeconnect?

I've tried killing the kdeconnectd and then running my compiled
kdeconnectd, but things just aren't quite working right.

First, I'd expect the icon to disappear when I kill the daemon and
reappear when I start my compiled version. This is not so (the behaviour
is wonky when a daemon is not running, and sometimes restarts the daemon
on some actions).

Second, my phone and computer seem to pair up when running the compiled
daemon, but none of the plugins are working (i.e. no response to ping on
either end, can't browse the device in Dolphin, no battery life in the
kdeconnect applet, can't use the remote input, etc.)

Here is the output from terminal:

joshua at joshbuntu:~/Programs/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu$ ./libexec/kdeconnectd
kdeconnect.core: KdeConnect daemon starting
kdeconnect.core: Broadcasting identity packet
kdeconnect.core: KdeConnect daemon started
kf5.kiconthemes: "Theme tree: (Breeze)"
kdeconnect.core: Device "Samsung Galaxy S4" status changed. Reachable:
true . Paired:  true

I am installing (using cmake prefix dir) into ~/Programs (and the usual
subdirs ./bin ./lib etc.)

I'm only concerned with compiling the desktop version for now, Kubuntu
15.04, Plasma 5.2.2, Qt 5.4.1, 64 bit OS.

Thank you,
Joshua