Feature discussion: Suppress notifications based on system filters?

Albert Vaca albertvaka at gmail.com
Tue Apr 14 04:10:16 UTC 2015

On Thu, Apr 2, 2015 at 5:54 AM, Achilleas Koutsou <achilleas.k at gmail.com>
wrote:

> I've been thinking about possible changes to the Notifications plugin
> and I'd like to get some feedback from the devs and users here before
> attempting anything.
>
> I've been using the new "Interruptions" feature, introduced in Lollipop,
> to suppress notifications (partially or completely). For those not
> familiar, the feature allows the user to set a system-wide filter for
> notifications. The user can specify a list of priority apps and
> contacts, set the phone to "Priority only notifications" mode and that
> suppresses every notification that's from an app or a contact not on the
> priority list. Also, the user can set the notification mode to "None",
> which ignores the priority list and suppresses all notifications. In
> both cases ("Priority only" and "None") the system suppresses only sound
> and vibration. On-screen notifications still appear and icons are still
> placed in the notification area at the top of the screen for all apps
> and contacts.
>
> Since all apps and contacts create visible notifications, these get
> forwarded by the Notification plugin. So, if I set notifications to
> "None", the phone is completely silent and does not vibrate, but I still
> receive pop-up notifications on the desktop.
>
> My suggestion: Change the Notification plugin to only forward
> notifications to other devices if they are on the priority list, when in
> priority mode. In other words, suppress the forwarding of notifications
> when the user has selected not to be notified.
>
> API 21 of the NotificationListenerService supports checking whether a
> notification matches the current filter settings [1], so the
> implementation seems straightforward.
>
> If you think this is a bad idea, or if you like receiving desktop
> notifications from the phone when it's filtering mode, how
> would you feel about making it an optional setting in the plugin?
> I realise that some may want to receive desktop notifications while
> suppressing sound & vibration on the phone as a way to keep the phone
> silent while still being able to see notifications.
>
> So, what do you think?
>
> --
> Achilleas
>
> [1] -
> https://developer.android.com/reference/android/service/notification/NotificationListenerService.html#getCurrentInterruptionFilter()

Hi Achilleas,

Sorry for the late reply. Even though I don't use the new priority
notifications thingy, to me it makes sense to honor the filter and only
forward the notifications that match it. However, changing the behaviour of
an existing feature usually makes users unhappy, so I would say it's better
to make it optional (ie: a checkbox in the notifications settings). Would
you be willing to implement this change?

Albert