Bluetooth Backend

Albert Vaca albertvaka at gmail.com
Mon Nov 24 09:19:01 UTC 2014

Hello Philip!

I'm sorry but I haven't had time to give it a try during the weekend :/ I
will try to do so during the week and give you some more feedback.

To try it, if you only have implemented the Android side, I assume you have
to use 2 phones, right?

On Fri, Nov 21, 2014 at 7:12 PM, Philip <cliabhach at gmail.com> wrote:

> - What terminology do I use to distinguish the bluetooth pairing process
> from
> the KDE Connect one?

My first thought was to automatically trust the devices that are discovered
through Bluetooth (actually, you have already paired them via Bluetooth, so
they should be devices you trust already). However, I'm not sure if that's
completely safe, so for now I would just keep the regular "pairing" in KDE
Connect, that you should do after "pairing" the bluetooth devices. If we
stick with this approach and we see that using the same name for both
processes is confusing, we can change that later, but for now I would not
worry about that... Let's make it work first!

> - Would it matter greatly if I sent the serialized NetworkPackage and its
> Payload in one stream?

It should be fine. The only problem I see is that, if the payload is quite
big, you won't receive the packet until the entire payload is transferred.
I don't think it's going to be a big issue anyway, but it will behave
different than the Lan backend and maybe some plugin needs an adjustment.

> - What UUID should we use for KDE Connect's bluetooth service?

Alex Fiestas, any thoughts?

> - Does my code look sane?

It looks like high quality code (assuming that the 20 seconds sleep is not
definitive :P), but I will tell you more when I try it.

A last thought: I've seen that you are using BluetoothSockets and I think
that Qt also implements that class (at least in Qt5), so porting it should
be easy enough. However, better try it before you have everything done on
Android, just in case there is some problem on the Qt side with this
approach and we have to make changes. If we have to use Qt5 for it to work
it's not a problem, because there is already a Qt5 branch and we are going
to migrate to it anyway before the end of the year.

Looks awesome so far! And you made a huge progress very fast, so I'm
confident we will have a very nice Bluetooth support soon :)

Thank you!
Albert