KDE Connect in Ubuntu and Elementary

Albert Vaca albertvaka at gmail.com
Mon Nov 17 03:34:04 UTC 2014

Hi Viko!

I've seen that you created a PPA for the ElementaryOS KDE Connect
indicator, and I was thinking that it would be awesome if you could upload
there the base kdeconnect package as well.

The Ubuntu folks don't keep the package in their repos up to date, because
their policy is to only update packages with security fixes and not new
features. The users, though, get their Android apps updated automatically
and they see the new features, but they can not use them because their
desktops are using an older version than their phones!

If you publish the base package in your PPA, I will link to it from the
Android Play Store page so Ubuntu users can use it to have up-to-date
packages. I'm not an Ubuntu user myself, so I don't know a way to build
.deb packages easily.

In a different topic, I also wanted to ask you something: What do you do to
autostart KDE Connect in Elementary? Currently, we use a KDE-only solution
(kded), to launch it at startup, but in other desktop environments you
probably have to manually start the binary from
'/usr/lib/kde4/libexec/kdeconnectd'.
Is that your case? I want to change that to a more portable solution, so I
think your input can be useful.

Thanks for your time! If I can make the Elementary desktop run on my Arch,
I will give you some feedback about the indicator! And if you think there
is something we can change in KDE Connect to make the integration
easier/better, please let us know!

Albert