KDE Connect's security?

Albert Vaca albertvaka at gmail.com
Tue Jun 24 17:48:57 UTC 2014

Hello Raphael,

First of all thanks for your message and your contribution to KDE Connect.

On Sun, Jun 22, 2014 at 4:22 PM, Raphael Kubo da Costa
<rakuco at freebsd.org> wrote:
> Hi, Albert,
>
> I apologize for not sending this directly to the mailing list, but since
> this has security questions I've opted to first mail you privately
> first. Please let me know if you'd rather I sent this to the list.

I think it's not a problem to use the mailing list (CCd) to talk about
this topic.

> I've recently started playing with KDE Connect and finally managed to
> get it to work on FreeBSD today.

I'm happy that we can have KDE Connect running on FreeBSD systems! Thanks again.

> This made me wonder about the amount of thought given to securing KDE
> Connect so far: I saw a post in your blog about securing the
> communication between the desktop daemon and the Android device asking
> for input from security people (and also the comments there), and while
> trying to fix KDE Connect on FreeBSD I've noticed the kded module opens
> TCP and UDP sockets binding to all interfaces (so in theory if one's
> machine is connected directly to the internet anyone could fake a
> UDP/TCP Android packet). Additionally, any UDP packet not in the right
> format causes the daemon to exit, which can possibly be used to cause a
> DoS in kdeconnectd (I didn't check what happens to the TCP packets).

KDE Connect is intended to be used in small networks but, yes,
potentially we could be receiving faked packets. I don't think this is
a issue, as the same thing can be said of any application that listens
to a network port. Since the content of the packets is encrypted, you
still could not impersonate a trusted (paired) device. You could,
however, send pairing petitions and spam the user with pairing
notifications. We could solve this just by adding a "don't show more
notifications from this device" checkbox to the notification, so I
don't think it's a big problem.

Apart from that, we should not crash when receiving a malformed
packet, and that's something we have to fix as soon as possible.

> Given all this, I'd basically like to know if there's been any follow up
> to those comments about KDE Connect's security design in your blog, and
> also if those UDP/TCP topics I mentioned above have been considered.

I would prefer somebody with a good background in security to work on
the issues that came up in the comments of that post, so from my part
no further investigation has been made. Help in form of discussion, as
you did, is appreciated as well :)

> Thanks!

Cheers,
Albert