Complex question about KDED

Yuri Samoilenko kinnalru at gmail.com
Fri Jan 17 09:30:33 UTC 2014

Quote from kdelibs/kded/HOWTO

HOWTO Make KDED Modules
> =======================
> A KDED module implementation looks similar to a KControl module.
> A module is loaded when a call is made to it.
> KDED modules should not be added if it is avoidable because (especially
> when new) they endanger the stability of KDED and its other modules which
> provide important services. There are other ways to achieve what a KDED
> module can do in many cases.

This is because kded4 is an SINGLE process and any crash in loaded module
will lead to kded4 crash.  As they said "There are other ways to achieve
what a KDED module can do in many cases.".  When I plays with sftp plugin I
reach such useful(!) bug: when kded4 crash it automatically restats, and I
see a message about mounting my portable usb storage. I use this
information to be sure that daemon restarts and plugin reloaded :)

I want to discuss such proposition:  we can create kdeconnect daemon in
separate process, expose its interface over dbus and write small and very
stable KDEDModule which just manage out daemon. What do you think about it?