Newbie finds KATE acting strangely

Richard Owlett rowlett at access.net
Tue Sep 17 19:32:24 BST 2024

On 09/17/2024 12:23 PM, Richard Troy wrote:

> On Tue, 17 Sep 2024, Richard Owlett wrote:
>>>
>>>  The following, however, showed what you need to muck with:
>>>
>>>  $ ls -A ~/.* | grep -i kate
>>>
>>>  Presuming all that shows up is exclusively kate-the-editor related
>>> and not
>>>  something else (NOT a safe bet), you could remove all of it and it
>>> should
>>>  be as if you never had run it.
>>>

>> I get:
>>>  katemetainfos
>>>  katepartrc
>>>  katerc
>>>  kateschemarc
>>>  katesyntaxhighlightingrc
>>>  katevirc
>>
>> That all looks "safe" to remove.
>> Am I correct?
>>

> Some advice from a professional system administrator on some system or
> another since 1978 to present:
>
> A good practice all system administrators who are short on time should
> follow is: Develop a standard naming methodology for yourself - a
> convention - and make a directory, for instance here perhaps
> .kate_removed, and then move the potentially offending files aside into
> this repository.
>
> Presumably, the next time you launch Kate it'll build up a new set. You
> can then compare the new and old and perhaps learn something, and maybe
> even find where the change was that caused you this pain.
>
> It's quick, easy, and if you removed something you shouldn't have, it's
> quickly reversible.

Some of the files were re-created.
Some were *NOT*.
KATE is visually somewhere between how it used to be and what it was
just before my first post today.

Will have to retry some things tomorrow - need sleep I didn't get last
night. I may also have OS problems - will check and take to the
debian-user list.
Hopefully a KATE expert will chime in with something I'm missing.

Thanks for trying.