Question for fellow retro-computers : building kdelibs4 without nepomuk?

René J.V. Bertin rjvbertin at gmail.com
Wed May 22 11:42:48 BST 2024

Hi,

A number of people are looking into getting the MacPorts KDE4 ports to build again, using the current versions of the various dependencies. KF5 never made it into the official ports tree for various reasons (and it's definitely not going to happen now) but the KDE4 ports used to work pretty well, so the effort isn't devoid of interest.

The current blocker is with Soprano: onto2vocabularyclass segfaults in Raptor v2.0.16 (but not 2.0.15). Of course we could figure out what changed between those Raptor versions and if the problem is a regression or an "official" API change in that library (any pointers would be appreciated). But from what I can tell Soprano is only used as a basis for Nepomuk, which itself has been superseded by Baloo since 4.13 .

This is all old history by now, but does anyone remember if anything breaks when the required dependencies for building Nepomuk aren't available (Soprano's Raptor and Redland backends)? The KDElibs build system (CMake files) is set up properly for this case but has 1 comment in it suggesting that libnepomuk is not actually optional even though apparently nothing uses it anymore - except the KDElibs-internal file metadata thingy. But there's an external `kfilemetadata` so I'm not clear on which of the two does what.

Thanks,
R.