how to autohide the panel?

pete pg.nikolic1 at gmail.com
Thu Feb 24 13:10:25 GMT 2022

On Thu, 24 Feb 2022 03:22:18 +0100
hw <hw at adminart.net> wrote:

> On Wed, 2022-02-23 at 11:52 -0700, Stephen Dowdy wrote:
> >
> > hw,
> >
> > IME, the most common reason for this is an app doing some
> > update/notification function forcing the panel to pop up to handle the
> > notification event.
> >
> > This could be a download in a web browser (you see the browser icon with a
> > progress indicator scanning across the icon), or other app trying to get
> > your attention to show some state changing or warning. (perhaps something
> > in the system tray
>
> It's not notifications that make the panel come up --- which it shouldn't
> to begin with for that anyway.  It just doesn't hide.  Besides, I'm set to
> do not disturb.
>

> > Yes, this can be frustrating to identify exactly what's "misbehaving"  (the
> > panel is doing what it was designed to do, but it's not what you expect).
> >
> > I don't offhand know If/How there are knobs to control the panel behavior's
> > handling of such update/notification events in autohide mode, but that's
> > where you should start digging.
>
> It's the panel not hiding.  If the panel is designed not to hide like 99%
> of the time, that option should be removed altogether to make for easier
> source code.
>
> > Perhaps try looking at:
> >
> >      kcmshell5 notify
> >
> > and context-clicking (right-mouse) the notifications system tray icon
> > (Configure Notifications) and fiddle with the "track file transfers and
> > other jobs" and "show application and system notifications" buttons.
> > (you'll probably lose the usefulness of the notifier.  maybe you can run
> > that with plasmawindowed instead?
> >

> > I guess now that i have one or more 4K monitors on my desktops i just don't
> > try to use 'autohide anymore" :-/
>
> There are some windows that are insisting on either full 4k or a much
> lower resolution, or full screen.  Since full screen blocks everything
> else and is a thing that should have died along with msdos, I tried to
> autohide the panel and found that autohiding just doesn't work.
>
> Having the windows above the panel is useless because it would prevent
> me from using the panel altogether unless I keep moving the windows around
> every time I need to use the panel.
>
> And seriously?  Why should I have to fiddle around with things at all
> when there is a totally simple option for automatically hiding the
> panel?  Are there some hidden options that I need to find that make
> the simple option work eventually after I spent searching hours for a
> solution?
>
> It's bugs like this one, plus kwin not even being able to do
> focus follows mouse correctly and kmail still not working at all
> that make me go away from KDE.  I like KDE and kmail, but there is
> no point in using it when the major things which speak for using it
> don't work.
>
> At least I'm apparently not the only one who has found that autohiding
> the panel doesn't work ...

Auto hide has always worked here pain in the butt that it is   Arch Linux
fully up to date

Operating System: Arch Linux
KDE Plasma Version: 5.24.2
KDE Frameworks Version: 5.91.0
Qt Version: 5.15.2
Kernel Version: 5.16.10-arch1-1 (64-bit)
Graphics Platform: X11
Processors: 8 × AMD FX-8370E Eight-Core Processor
Memory: 15.6 GiB of RAM
Graphics Processor: AMD HAWAII

Pete