Performance difference

René J.V. Bertin rjvbertin at gmail.com
Fri Dec 23 11:25:16 GMT 2022

On Thursday December 22 2022 16:40:18 Dave Close wrote:

>The only difference I've found thus far is that the slower one does not
>have a swap partition. Any suggestions for what else I can check, and
>hopefully fix, will be appreciated.

Have you tried timing the performance difference of the 2nd time you start that command?

KDE apps tend to have a lot of libraries to load with lots of symbols to retrieve (I have the impression that number is only going up with every new C++ standard and Qt version). Provided you have enough RAM those libraries will be in some kind of cache, allowing for a much faster start-up.

I see this myself, on my lowly, ageing beater which runs off a ZFS pool on an SSHD. I think the SSD part of that drive is probably toast by now so I no longer have the benefits of that, so loading a command for the first time clearly requires a lot of "disk scraping".

I assume your 2 laptops have SSDs (of comparable performance) so that filesystem fragmentation is mostly irrelevant? BTW, you do use the same filesystem (and filesystem settings) on both?

R.