New task manager

Duncan 1i5t5.duncan at cox.net
Wed Oct 27 13:19:47 BST 2021

René J.V. Bertin posted on Mon, 25 Oct 2021 14:27:29 +0200 as excerpted:

> On Monday October 25 2021 11:51:24 Duncan wrote:
>
>>Heh, not crazy-res as in dpi, actually rather low dpi, but crazy big...
>>Try two 75"/1.9m 4k TVs as monitors.  Literally a /wall/ of screen! =:^)
>
> Still pretty high dpi effectively, when you've moved back far enough to
> be able to take it all in ;)

I actually don't (take it all in), at least not all at once.

I'm decently under a meter away from the centers (~2-3 feet, 2/3-1
meter), toward the bottom, and typically do a 2x2 window-grid on the
right "working" monitor (1860x1080 with a panel on the far right), often
with a full 75"-screen video playing on the left monitor.  FWIW the
monitors are anchored to the wall on telescoping mounts and angled
slightly in.

My focus is most often on the one of those 2x2-grid windows at the bottom-
left of the right screen, and I have to move my head to see the full left-
hand screen.  The panel to the far right is in peripheral view but that's
it unless I focus on it (which I can /almost/ do with just an eye
movement when I'm already centered on the lower left of the same screen).

While I can focus up or to the right of the left-hand screen reasonably
easily, I tend to use kwin's zoom/pan effects to move the right-hand
stack, and /sometimes/ the left-top window of the four, closer.

I have another bug filed because krunner on wayland insists on centering
on the left screen (because wayland has no concept of primary screen so
it always centers horizontally on the left-top of multi-monitor setups,
and can be set top or ~1/3 down that screen vertically but not bottom),
which as I say there is more in line with my ear than my eye at regular
focus.  Fortunately I have a hack-patch for that as well, positioning it
at the bottom-right of the left-hand screen, so it's not in the way of my
working windows tho it does cover up the corner of the video or whatever
else I have on the left screen.

On wayland it's possible to set scale under 1, so I experimented with
scaling to say .5 and having even *more* screen real estate available at
"bird's eye view", then zooming in to normal for usual work, etc, and may
have kept that were I still running 42" 1080p FHDs, but decided it wasn't
worth it on the 75" displays, especially since scaling either side of
100% isn't entirely bug-free anyway.

> Last time I used a TV as a monitor was in my C64 days - and even that
> didn't last long (meaning we got a proper monitor, the computer lasted
> me a bit longer :) )
> Nowadays I do the opposite (saves us from paying the "TV tax" O:-) )

No TV tax in the US, and above say 27" TVs are cheaper than computer
monitors, tho until DTV it wasn't worth the low refresh.  But while 60 Hz
refresh isn't great even on DTV, it's tolerable enough that I'm choosing
it over the smaller screen or out-of-economic-range choice I'd have for
proper computer monitors.  And they're not great quality TVs; I bought
pretty much the first ones I could get at $1000 each for 4k-UHD/75".
Samsung series 7 I believe.  The LED backlight stripes are visible
especially with bright scenes on one (which is also worse color), tho
it's not as noticeable with motion and that's the one I use for youtube,
etc.  But it's still preferable to the older but better quality 65" 4k in
the closet as backup. =:^)