Right click menu

René J.V. Bertin rjvbertin at gmail.com
Mon Mar 15 09:56:32 GMT 2021

On Monday March 15 2021 07:56:42 Ianseeks wrote:

>Is there any way to configure the right-click menu within each application?
>I'd like to be able to put items on the menu that suit me (and remove ones i don't use).

This will depend on the application, in particular if it generates its menus via the KXMLGui framework. If so, you might find files like

/usr/share/kxmlgui5/katepart/katepart5ui.rc
or
~/.local/share/kxmlgui5/katepart/katepart5ui.rc

and therein you'd find the menu specification.

However:
- AFAIK these resources are now compiled in and not necessarily present on disk anymore (if they are, the one in ~/.local/share/kxmlgui5 will take priority!). Hence the "might find" above.
- the only documentation for what items you might be able to add is typically in the source code
- even if the base menu is created this way, applications can still remove and/or add items on the fly themselves. It is thus possible to break an application, for instance if the rc file creates an empty submenu, and if the app bails with an error if it doesn't find that menu when it tries to populate it at runtime.

There's also a caching feature with a version number in the rc file; you will probably have to bump that version if you make changes, which may wreak havoc the next time the application is updated.

In short, this is more suitable for tweaking if you build your application from source.

R.