WHAT HAS HAPPENED TO KDE

Paul Brown pbrown at mykolab.com
Wed Aug 18 12:24:07 BST 2021

On Wednesday, 18 August 2021 12:50:17 CEST Pi Piper wrote:
> Thank you for getting back to me..

Hi Laurens,

> Specifically the Ubuntu desk top version.
>
> I am a new user of all things Linux and whilst setting up my Ubuntu 20.4
> I wanted to set up a system where I could also use MMS or telephone type
> messaging service on Ubuntu
>
> I came across KDE and notice that it has not been updated for some time
> that I could tell and wondered if it had fallen off the tracks.

Okay. let me clarify: "KDE" IS NOT a specific app, the same way "Apple" and
"Microsoft" are not a specific apps, but companies that produce apps.

In the case of KDE, it is community of volunteers and users that produces apps
and software. Each app is a project with its own name and team of developers.

In this case, I think you are looking for our desktop software, Plasma:

https://kde.org/plasma-desktop/

Is that what you are thinking of? If so, I would recommend looking at Kubuntu,

https://kubuntu.org/

which is the nearest thing to Ubuntu, as it is basically Ubuntu with KDE's
Plasma on top.

If you don't want to re-install everything, run these commands from the
command line

 sudo apt-get update

and then

 sudo apt-get install kubuntu-desktop

and that will install everything. Then just logout and you will be able to
pick Plasma as your desktop.

> Perhaps, and whilst I have you, do you know of any apps for Ubuntu that
> would fit my requirements?
> My phone is and Iphone although I must say that I am so impressed with
> Ubuntu I will soon be looking to replace my phone with something that
> talks to my Ubuntu system

iOS, the operating system running on iPhones, is famously fickle and hard to
develop for. At KDE we produce an app called KDE Connect

https://kdeconnect.kde.org/

If you download and install Kubuntu, it will be built into your desktop. All
you will have to do is install it on your phone... Except, as I said before,
iPhone is particularly difficult and we have not been able to get a functional
version of KDE Connect to run on any of Apple's phones.

It works fine on Android phones, though. And Windows.

Cheers

Paul
--
Editing & copywriting