Inconvenient Plasma / Akonadi behavior

Eleanor Hawk eleanorhawk at outlook.com
Wed May 13 21:55:54 BST 2020

I run Plasma, as well as a few Akonaidi/PIM applications on my personal
computer. I like the PIM applications to run without intervention after I log
in. However, I run into a problem if I simply add them to the "auto-start"
list in system settings (i.e., add them to my XDG autostart directory).

If Akonadi server is started before Plasma has finished loading, then the
Plasma UI will not display until after Akonadi has also finished loading. Since
auto-start applications are launched before Plasma is finished loading, and PIM
applications will automatically start Akonadi, this results in a prolonged
delay of about two minutes, during which I can't really do anything.

I've worked around this by setting a systemd timer to launch the PIM
applications a certain time after Plasma has loaded. This works: I don't need
the applications right away, I just don't want to manually launch them, but it
is nevertheless inconvenient and a bit kludgy-feeling. For example, every time
my distro's Korganizer package updates I have to remove the `korgac` desktop
file from `/etc/xdg/autostart` to maintain this.

I bring this up to the mailing list because I get the impression that this is
actually deliberate on the part of Plasma, i.e., probably to accommodate PIM-
related desktop gadgets. Hence I dub it an "inconvenient behavior" rather than
a bug. But I don't know that for sure, and I suppose that'd make the difference
between me submitting this as a bug report or a feature request.

The delay occurs if only `akonadictl start` is run from an auto-start script,
so it isn't any of the particular PIM applications.

So, does Plasma deliberately wait for Akonadi? Or is this a bug?

-Ellie Hawk