slow graphics when laptop display is disabled

test test at adminart.net
Sat May 9 19:01:41 BST 2020

On Saturday, May 9, 2020 5:23:25 PM CEST test wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have put a laptop into a docking station and want to use it with an
> external monitor (and keyboard and a trackball) when I have it at home.
>
> The external monitor is connected to the docking station.  When I disable
> the monitor of the laptop in the KDE system settings, or when the lid is
> closed, graphics are unusably slow.  When the monitor of the laptop is
> enabled, grahpics are at normal speed.
>
> This is an HP zbook G2 in it's 230W docking station, connected to a monitor
> at 1920x1200 pixels, running Fedora.  NVIDIA drivers aren't installed ---
> do I need them?
>
> What can do I to use the laptop with the lid closed and it's monitor
> disabled without it getting so slow?  Is this even a KDE issue?
>

> lspci | grep VGA
>
> 00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation 4th Gen Core Processor
> Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 06)
> 01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: NVIDIA Corporation GK104GLM [Quadro
> K3100M] (rev a1)

I've got it to work.  For the record:

+ enable hybrid graphics in BIOS
+ disable secure boot in BIOS
+ install NVIDIA drivers (from RPMFUSION)
+ make sure nouveau is blacklisted
+ connect external display to VGA port rather than DVI on docking station

I would say "solved" because it works for me.  Still I wonder why it's so slow when the internal
graphics card is in use with an external monitor; that shouldn't happen.